Thursday, October 17, 2013

S01 E10: "Swarm of the Century"



S01 E10: "Swarm of the Century"
Another blog! Yay. Episode ten, and almost halfway through the season! I'll get this first season knocked out before you know it...probably. Maybe. I hope. 


What I Liked






The backgrounds remain gorgeous! Hopefully this will be so consistent that I never have to comment on it again after this.
Zecora is back! She wasn't as off-putting for some reason this time around.



The cutaway of Princess Celestia getting assaulted by Parasprites was amusing.

Other characters are acknowledging in universe that Pinkie Pie is annoying and somewhat insane EVEN MORE. This gives me increased sympathy for her character, so any vestigial traces of hate I had for her are gone. 



"It also didn't mess itself up..." Look at you, Spike! Bein' all sassy an' shit. Keep it up.
Not everyone is cool with Twilight Sparkle, or otherwise seems to merely tolerate her, which is more realistic than her being absolutely friendly with everyp-one. Caught myself there...



I like that this background went out of it's way to show something other than cumulus clouds for once. Is it ever overcast in Ponyville, or is one of Rainbow Dash's jobs to prevent that? If it is, I hate her a little-- I like overcast days. >_>



I liked the gag with the Parasprite eyes on Spike.



Look at this little winged dickhead in the foreground with purple book! Adorbs.

Haha! Parasprites reproduce by vomiting up thier spawn like hairballs! Gross.




The fuck is this Mr. Miyagi bullshit Zecora's doing?
I like that Zecora basically just tells Twilight that Ponyville is fucked and goes about her business, lol



dat "WTF?" face on Princess Celestia tho
Ponyville better be in ruins in the next episode...who am I kidding, it won't be.

What I Hated

Twilight Sparkle is backsliding into self-absorbed cuntery. :(
Zecora still friggin' rhymes. STOP IT




Fluttershy really needs to learn when to kill things. This little bastard ate a whole bushel of apples-- The instant that they even hinted at going all Tribble on me, I'd have committed wholesale genocide on the spot. A friend showed me a clip out of context of Fluttershy murdering the shit out of a bear-- maybe she gets it together? Let's hope.
Where is the goddamn mayor of Ponyville?! She was a thing! Why is Twilight in charge of everything?


The name Parasprite set off no red flags? Really? REALLY?!




I'm really wondering how Rarity makes all these elaborate outfits with no opposable thumbs. Does her magi-kenesis or whatever have a limit? Or Twilight's for that matter? Seriously.
"Fluttershy knows everything about animals!" Except for what Parasprites even are in the first place. So let's ask her instead of Pinkie Pie, who identified them on sight and with a fair amount of disgust on top of that. LOGIC
You know, Pinkie Pie, all this shit could have been solved earlier if you told your friends why you needed the musical instruments to stop the Parasprites instead of acting like a nutcase.





Okay, no, for realsies-- what exactly is the limit of a Unicorn's powers? Because if Twilight Sparkle basically has access to a Heart Ring and can brainwash hundreds, no, thousands of Parasprites at once, then why. Didn't she. Use it. On. The.

FUCKING DRAGON THREE EPISODES AGO
Just sayin'.



Okay, eating the words out of the books like they were pasta might be a bit much. :|



"The mark of my deity shall scar thy DNA."

"Fillydelphia"...fuck you.
Final Thoughts

This episode was actually pretty decent! Plenty of sight gags, though the puns got a little out of control. I like the lesson-- "Listen to your friends, they might not always be full of shit!"

This is just a guess, but I feel like this is a turning point for the show finding it's voice a little better. The characters seemed more consistent for the most part compared to the last handful of episodes.

Not bad, MLP! Keep it up!

See you soon for the next episode!

-Apathy Pony

2 comments:

  1. The look on Pinky's face while she was playing all those instruments makes me laugh! The concentration! Hilarious! Celestria sees her and is like WTF is going on.
    Another thing I like about this show is the determined look about them as they run. They kind of put their heads down and go for it! And it's okay to say 'anypony' and its fun to listen close for the times they slip up and say 'people'. And Spoiler Alert: Zecora always speaks in rhymes. Sorry. Lastly, I enjoyed your podcast with Ian. Thanks for turning me on to Jaffa Cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, glad you liked the blog, and the podcast! Adam and I really should do those more regularly...

    I'll be doing 3 more reviews, and then a 13th episode status report on how I feel about the show overall, so look for those soon!

    -Apathy Pony

    ReplyDelete